Today started with rain, but after a cooling period, has turned into another scorcher. These cloudless sunny days have been lovely, but the hotter temperatures are a bit of a struggle. Instead of attempting to work through it, I completed my garden tasks this morning and am now basking in the shade while enjoying this week’s SoSs.
If you are interested in seeing what other SoSers are up to, head over to The Propagator’s page and check out this week’s post, and the comments.
See the participant’s guide here.
This week I have been harvesting, tidying and puzzling over different plants as I try to prepare for the coming winter. As well as enjoying some seasonal colour!
I have been gradually pulling onions as and when I need them since July. At this point I do not think they are going to increase in size, so I have pulled them all out! Some will be dried out, others chopped and placed in the freezer.
Lessons for next year – plant earlier (mine were in the ground on 5 December) and increase the spacing or thin to allow a larger bulb to form.
Like the onions, these were planted late and a little too close together. Despite this, they have been delicious. Now that all the garlic and onions are removed, I am considering what to do with the empty space left behind. Any suggestions welcome!
Cucumbers – Bothby Blonde’s are no joke
These cucumbers are ridiculously prolific. I am desperately trying to think of ways to use them up, so any recipe suggestions would be helpful. I recently tried fried stuffed cucumber, a surprisingly tasty recipe.
These plants are still producing, despite having a strange mould on some of the leaves. I am uncertain what has caused this, and have just been cutting them away as they appear.
3 of my cauliflowers have produced fully-formed heads, but several appear to be rotting. Interestingly, with these plants I conducted an experiment. I halved the planting patch, feeding one side with fish, blood and bone, and the other with a layer of manure. Those fed with manure initially formed strong heads, but these have since blackened, or stretched out. I am not sure of the cause: did I not pick them fast enough? Is this issue caused by planting almost immediately after laying manure? I am unsure.
No photo I take can capture the sheer pleasure the scent of these flowers brings. With the gentle breeze, I catch delightful hints of it as I move and sit in the garden.
A flowering corner
I have cheated a bit with this one, and decided to highlight a corner of the garden that is in full bloom. Design-wise, this has not actually worked. I have ended up with far too many tall plants layered one in front of the other, but the flowers are fantastic.
At the back is, what was supposed to be, a wall of sweet peas. I wove sweet pea plants through several canes, hoping to create a sweetly scented barrier between my seating area, and the less visually-appealing polytunnel entrance and waterbutt. This ‘sort-of’ worked, but is hidden behind towering Verbena. New for this year these have been excellent, adding height and structure to an otherwise flat landscape.
In front of these, a random borage flower has appeared, as well as a Cosmos cutting given to me by a friend. With repeated dead-heading it continues to flower.
Finally, right at the very bottom are petunias, the single Bolero Marigold I managed to grow, and pansies from the last winter, still flowering. While I will reconsider the placement next year, the flowers themselves are a lovely sight.
Until next time!